Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Day One: Crap Theory




Sometime last week I decided that, while I loved digital painting and 3d modelling, I wanted a hobby that was hands on with tangible materials. After some research (and clicking longingly through speed-paints by some very skilled artists) I decided oil painting was something I'd try. Acrylics I had already done before, and the most frustrating aspect was that the paints dried too quickly for a novice like me to mix colours or think about the painting.

I'm going to try to do a painting a day this summer while I have hours of sunshine and window ventilation (and free time), and here is number one.

Yep, it sucks. I like the idea that there a number of garbage paintings that you must get out of your system before you can make the good stuff, and this one definitely qualifies.

Click 'Read More' to see rest of post.






Here is the original set-up, though the camera isn't precisely where my head or eyes were. I already see about 7 things I would correct, but I think I'll let it be and move on to crappy painting #2. Maybe it will even be less crappy.

Top 5 things I learned after opening my first tubes of oil paints:

  • Mixing the right color is hard. I need to read more about colour theory and keep a tidier palette.
  • Pthalo blue is really, really blue.
  • I need to invest in some better props, including different coloured backgrounds so that not everything is lost in a sea of grey countertop.
  • I need to better plan the order that I lay colours down if I'm going to try painting alla prima.
  • Value studies. Do them.

The rest of the 'fresh' produce in my house is looking pretty sad, I might look for some oranges or cherries at the grocery store tonight.

1 comment:

  1. good for you Laurel, a great start I like the shine of the bright red. May I suggest a persimmon next, as they appear to be in season at the moment.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete